Welcome to my Blog

I'm a professional award winning Portrait artist from NSW Australia.

Not just a likeness- portraits with Life!
I bring your photos to life in paintings that will touch your heart!

A photo freezes a moment while a painting melts hearts.

Capture a moment in their life and
keep it alive in an Heirloom Portrait !

"Your portraits capture more life than a photo ever could!"
Vanessa.



Satisfaction Guarantee .

Have me create a special portrait just for you!.
Supply the photos and then plan the great unveiling!


I have original animal and landscape artworks available for sale on my website.

Learn more at my website-


https://www.suelinton.com.au/wordpress/




Friday, May 23, 2014

I'll be painting at Salt Ash this Sunday 25th May- Alexander Park dressage day

Come and watch me paint . If you have been thinking of having me create a portrait come along and have a talk. Bring your photos and we can discuss your ideas.
 I will be painting a portrait of Kathryn Croft on Snapdragon. This painting is not a commissioned portrait so I can do whatever I want! I want the painting to be colourful and capture the connection they have. I'm using a professional photo that I have bought as the reference but getting rid of all the distracting background and bits and pieces.

 Here's what I've done so far..I've cropped the photo. I was feeling pretty good about coming up the cropped image and then I realised it's the same as Kathryn's FB profile pic! Great minds think alike..lol's

 The sketch



 Some possible ideas although I am already thinking of changing the colour and placement of the background..


Here I've started on the acrylic underpainting - I usually use the opposite colour in this to what I will finish up with. Leaving little bits peaking through the final Oil layers give the painting extra zing.
 I wanted a reasonably large painting so Kathryn's face would be a decent size- it's harder to get a decent likeness or feeling in a small face. The A4 size reference photo is at the top RHS.

A bit further along and I am starting to put the Oil colour over the acrylic.I've painted the darker areas of Snap's coat. 
With Oil paint you must paint from the darkest areas and colours then the middle tones and then the lightest colours. 
If you paint light colours and then try to darken them the paint just mixes and goes muddy.
You still need a careful technique going from dark to lighter but you get a more natural look. Acrylic paint dries quickly so you put whatever colour you want wherever but Oils need to be carefully planned to keep the colours fresh.
 I've actually now roughly painted Snap + Kathryn's clothes..
 To be continued Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment