Welcome to my Blog

I'm a professional award winning Portrait artist from NSW Australia.

Not just a likeness- portraits with Life!
I bring your photos to life in paintings that will touch your heart!

A photo freezes a moment while a painting melts hearts.

Capture a moment in their life and
keep it alive in an Heirloom Portrait !

"Your portraits capture more life than a photo ever could!"
Vanessa.



Satisfaction Guarantee .

Have me create a special portrait just for you!.
Supply the photos and then plan the great unveiling!


I have original animal and landscape artworks available for sale on my website.

Learn more at my website-


https://www.suelinton.com.au/wordpress/




Thursday, November 29, 2012

The creation of Kiri

Kiri is the queen of the household. I have created many portraits of Sian's household of cats and Kiri is  about the 7th  or 8th portrait.
As befits a queen and favourite we have chosen a larger portrait. The rest have been 40 x 50cms image portraits while she is 50 x 60cms image size. She will be stunning when she is framed.
Kiri is a Maine Coone cat with a gorgeous white ruff , whispy tips on her ears , long whiskers and a big tail. She is enormous!
The photo we had was of her lying on Sian's suitcase. Sian goes away a lot and Kiri hates it.It's almost like she is trying not to let her go.
Although the pose was good we chose another nicer face and I put that on her portrait. I also enhanced her ruff and colour.
 
Here she is complete and I will also put up progressive photos so you can see how I painted her.
 
 
 
Finished
Kiri
71 x 81cms framed oil
 
 
I started with an acrylic underpainting and roughly covered the whole portrait. Her face wasn't accurate but that didn't matter as I fix that as I go along. When I had sent the sketch to Sian she asked me to make her paws larger as the photo made them look smaller than they are.They are fixed here.
 
 
 
Here I have started to use Oil paint on her coat but I haven't done any of the white part of the coat yet. This is the drab and ugly stage.
 
 
 
I quite like her here but she has to llok like Kiri so I had to add some darker bits. I've done a little bit of her white coat but it isn't finished.
 

 
 
Here she is about 85% finished. The final touches don't show up in photos especially if it's a large painting so the photo is taken from a distance. I decided I didn't like the blue background and asked Sian if I could change the colour of the suitcase as that would allow me to use colours that would better enhance Kiri.
 With her permission I did and I think the new colours are much more flattering ( below). Now was the time to put in her whiskers , make her ruff more 3 d and finish all the other little details
that bring her to life!
 
 Here she is again finished.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment