Welcome to my Blog

I'm a professional award winning Portrait artist from NSW Australia.

Not just a likeness- portraits with Life!
I bring your photos to life in paintings that will touch your heart!

A photo freezes a moment while a painting melts hearts.

Capture a moment in their life and
keep it alive in an Heirloom Portrait !

"Your portraits capture more life than a photo ever could!"
Vanessa.



Satisfaction Guarantee .

Have me create a special portrait just for you!.
Supply the photos and then plan the great unveiling!


I have original animal and landscape artworks available for sale on my website.

Learn more at my website-


https://www.suelinton.com.au/wordpress/




Monday, February 20, 2012

Palettes & paints

I thought I'd post something different.
When I'm painting in Oils I place my paints in a particular order around my palette - my paint mixing ' plate'. I always place the paints in much the same order around the top so I can find them easily when I'm painting and don't have to waste time searching for them.
From the paints around the edges I can mix any colour I want for each individual portrait.
Using the colours around the outside I take a bit of several colours with my palette knife and mix the required colour in the middle.
After a while things start to get pretty 'busy ' in my mixing area. Every now and then I scrape a colour up into a blob and place it back around the edge and then wipe the palette where it was clean so I have room to mix another colour..
After a while I run out of space in the middle and some of the paint starts to dry out where I have mixed them so I then clean the palette.
I scrape up all the usable paint and put it around the edges and then brush kerosene over the middle to soften the paint so I can scrape it off and then wipe the area clean.
Viola! A nice clean spacious palette to mix more paint for that portrait !
 Once I finish a portrait I will clean off the whole palette to make a bare one for my next portrait.
Each portrait uses slightly different colours depending on the subjects colour and my background choice.
Here's a palette that's starting to get clogged up with mixes.They get worse than this one.. This is the one I'm using for the Rottweiler portrait that is almost finished.
Before cleaning...
After..
 
Now I can add more original paint blobs around the outside as I need them and have plenty of space to mix new colours in the centre.
All the little blobs of colour are colours I've used in that portrait.
I put the palette in the freezer to stop the Oil from drying as fast. Doing this means I can continue painting tomorrow and use some of the pre- existing mixes and that means I don't have to waste time mixing up some of the colours I need.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment