Welcome to my Blog

I'm a professional award winning Portrait artist from NSW Australia.

Not just a likeness- portraits with Life!
I bring your photos to life in paintings that will touch your heart!

A photo freezes a moment while a painting melts hearts.

Capture a moment in their life and
keep it alive in an Heirloom Portrait !

"Your portraits capture more life than a photo ever could!"
Vanessa.



Satisfaction Guarantee .

Have me create a special portrait just for you!.
Supply the photos and then plan the great unveiling!


I have original animal and landscape artworks available for sale on my website.

Learn more at my website-


https://www.suelinton.com.au/wordpress/




Monday, March 7, 2011

Today's portrait sketch from a model

Here's what I did at our portrait painting group today.We have someone come in and pose for us and we paint them for about 2 1/2 hrs..This is where I experiment with colour and practise getting a likeness. Painting from real life is the best way to learn as photos don't show the 3D or colour like seeing something in the flesh.I rarely bother finishing them off when I get home and enjoy just getting impact or colour zap.I'm happy with the zap I got with Bob. If I WAS to bother finishing him off more I would just refine his eyes and slightly modify his forehead area. I suppose the portrait I did of my mother for the Archibald is one of these finished off..Although as the artist I can decide it is finished whenever I want!

 One of the problems with the portrait session is we have a dozen artist all trying to paint the one model so you end up about 15' from the model and can't see them properly! I didn't realise how bad it was until I was having trouble with the shape of his cheeks and got him to stand 1' in front of me..Aah! I can see..easy! You can't even see his eyes from that far away.If I finish him off I'll use the photo to help with detail.I just aim for an overall impression from the session.



Bob
30 x 40cms Oil on canvas


The camera doesn't photgraph the blue properly.The background and dark blues are darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment